Giving Tuesday is a worldwide movement, which appeared in the United States in 2012. It is called the world day of generosity and solidarity and is celebrated the Tuesday after Thanksgiving. It was created in response to the commercial events of Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Currently, 60 countries are involved worldwide. In France, the movement appeared in 2018.
The idea is simple: whether it is to make someone smile, help a neighbour or a stranger, help solve a problem or people we care about, or give part of what we have to those who need our help, every act of generosity counts and everyone has something to give.
What is Giving Tuesday for?
The aim is to celebrate giving, commitment and solidarity in the world once a year, so that :
- Everyone is aware of the importance of giving, helping each other and knowing how to do it, both in their immediate surroundings and on the other side of the world.
- Associations and foundations have the opportunity to promote their projects and causes to the public, who can then continue to help them throughout the rest of the year.
- Society as a whole can mobilise to help each other and thus participate in actions throughout the year
Who can participate?
Everybody! Individuals, associations, foundations, schools, universities, public institutions and companies of all sizes and from all sectors.
How can I participate?
Giving Tuesday is the ideal opportunity to undertake a solidarity initiative such as :
- Make a donation to an association
- Giving clothes, food
- As an employer, support the solidarity projects of its employees
- Promote solidarity projects of all types
- Donate blood
- Sign a petition
- Organising a collection
Do I have to pay to attend Giving Tuesday?
No! Giving Tuesday is a 100% free movement that encourages solidarity actions.
Giving Tuesday lasts one day. What about the rest of the year?
Generosity is a daily commitment. This day dedicated to generosity aims to remind us of how important it is to help each other. Of course, everyone is encouraged to make a commitment throughout the year, whether with a donation, in the form of volunteering or any other social action.
Giving Tuesday is more than a day, it’s a movement !
How can I support you?
If you wish to support our actions to fight against the isolation and loneliness of the elderly, you can discover different ways to get involved here: https://www.petitsfreres.org/en/get-involved/